Escuela de Estudios Profesionales Programa Ahora
Universidad del Este (según aplique)
Prep.Jul. 15, 05.Prof. Laura Pedraza, MA
ENG 231 Reseach and Writing - 10 -
Assignment to be handed-in on Workshop one. (25 points)
1. Write in 1-3 clear, concise sentences, your definition of main idea, topic, topic sentence, or at least what you think it should be. Construct a definition that would make sense to you.
Main idea is _____________________________________ _______________________________________________
A topic is _______________________________________ _______________________________________________
A topic sentence is _______________________________ _______________________________________________
2. Visit the recommended websites and study the parts of an essay: http://members.tripod.com/~lklivingston/essay/ http://www2.actden.com/writ_den/tips/essay/
a. Summarize the parts of the essay in your own words.
b. Write down all your doubts on a blank sheet of paper and bring it to class.
c. Select a topic of your interest. Write a first draft of an essay and turn it in.
Remember: the essay must follow the 5 paragraph format.
Workshop One: Objectives:
A. Reading: By the end of the workshop, the student will:
1. Write a clear, precise and coherent essay in a 5 paragraph format.
2. Analyze a topic in order to narrow it down to a ¨workable¨ unit.
3. Identify main ideas and supporting details.
4. Identify parts of the essay (format)