Diversity and Demographics – Quiz Questions and Answers
The Diversity Training Group
1. True or False - Census Data reflects older and more diverse U.S. Workforce?
2. Hispanic population in the US grew by what percentage from 2000 to 2010?
Answer: c, in 2000, there was 35.3 million Hispanics in US in 2010. In 2010, 50.5 million
3. True or False – When Christopher Columbus discovered America in 1492, the world was
adding two people to the world population every minute.
Answer: True, today the world is adding 158 people to the world population every minute!
Source: Washington Post, Kids Post, Page1, October 30, 2011
4. The number of individuals ages 45 to 64 has increased
Answer: c, from 62 million to 81.5 million, the 2010 Census data show. That is one
quarter of the population. In seven states, the median age shot to 40 or older.5. True or False - The percentage of one-person households continues to grow, up from 25% to
6. Proportion of residents who are 18 and under, an all-time low
7. True or False – Average household size has been increasing over the last 50 years
Answer: True, however it turned with the 2010 Census (now on the increase).
8. New marriages that include spouses of different racial or ethnical backgrounds
a. 1 in 2
b. 1 in 3
c. 1 in 5
d. 1 in 7
e. 1 in 8
9. True or False - The “traditional family” – nuclear, one or two adults and their young children,
shows resiliency and continues to grow.
Answer: False – the traditional family continues to decline in numbers.
10. Since 1990, the number of additional people living in the suburbs
a. 32 million
b. 40 million
c. 56 milliond. 74 million
e. 81 million
11. True or False – the Black population grew at 9.3% from 2000 to 2010.
Answer: False, grew at 12.3%.
12. In 2010, the percentage of Blacks living in a neighborhood that was more than 85% Black
Answer: a, 50% in 1990 – neighborhoods all across country are getting more diverse, less
13. True or False - The Hispanic and Asian Populations are growing the fastest.
Answer: True, the Hispanic population accounted for more than half the U.S. population
growth in the past 10 years.
14. The share (%) of births by unmarried women (up from 26% in 1990)
Answer: e15. True or False – Most of the world population growth is happening in the richer, more modern
Answer: False, most of the world population growth is happening in poorer, less developed
countries, where families tend to be larger and living conditions more
challenging. Look at India where only 31% of the population has access to a
16. In the United States, 85-plus population, increased and almost double from 1990 to
a. 5.5 million
b. 9 million
c. 12 million
d. 22 million
e. 35 million
17. True or False – Diversity Training Group is based in Herndon, VA, in Fairfax County,
Virginia. Fairfax County, VA, is one of the most diverse counties in the entire nation where
just 2% of neighborhoods are segregated.
Answer: True, no wonder I am a diversity trainer – I grew up here!
18. In 2010, the percentage of whites living in a neighborhood that was more than 85% white
Answer: b, 72% in 1990
19. True or False – The non-Hispanic white population is no longer the largest major race and
ethnic group in the United States
Answer: False, the non-Hispanic white population is still the largest major race and ethnic
group, yet is growing at the slowest rate (proportion of population shrank from 69% in 2000
to 64% in 2010)FYI – From 2000-2010, Texas joined California, The District of Columbia, Hawaii, and New
Mexico in having a “majority-minority” population.
20. The main growth in population continues to be in these geographic areas
e. a and c
f. b and d
Answer: F, members of minority groups now make up nearly half of the West’s population
21. True or False – You would be between 31 and 32 years old to have lived for 1 billion
Answer: True, to reach 7 billion seconds, you would have to live to be 220 years old.
Source: Washington Post, October 30, 2011
22. Asian population in the United States grew what by what percentage from 2000 to 2010?
Answer: b, 10.2 million Asians in U.S. in 2000. In 2010, 14.7 million Asians in U.S.
23. True or False - Today, more people in the US live in communities defined by their diversity,
not their lack of it?
Answer: True, all-white neighborhoods are quickly vanishing!
24. Which of these global population trends is not true?
a. World population is getting older
b. Fertility rates continue to increasec. Lifespans or life expectancy have increased
Answer: b, fertility rates are plunging, going down dramatically, and this creates a crisis
especially in those countries that are aging but no youth, no births, no replacement population
– some countries are dying – literally, with job openings, these countries, their markets can’t
25. True or False - There are neighborhoods emerging all across the country that are more
diverse than at any other time in American history.
26. When will the nation “hit that day” when non-Hispanic whites become a minority?
a. In forty years?
b. In thirty years?
c. In twenty years?
d. In ten years?
Answer: b, here in Washington, DC, this has already happened!
Sources unless specified otherwise:
U.S. Census Bureau, Current Population Survey’s Annual Social and Economic Supplement,
2010, multiple USA Today, Washington Post, SHRM’s HR Magazine articles – all looking at
US 2010 Census Data.